The mission of the Parents Diversity Council (PDC) is to create opportunities for parents within Bedford Public Schools (BPS) to foster a culture of inclusion and diversity for all students and families, with special attention to issues of racial equity.
PDC members partner with BPS to:
1. Build bridges of understanding and social connection among BPS families of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
2. Support efforts to improve diversity in school staffing.
3. Raise family and student awareness of the METCO and Hanscom communities.
PARENTS DIVERSITY COUNCIL AT A GLANCE
Did you know?
- 33% of Bedford Public School students are students of color (made up of students from Bedford, Boston, and Hanscom Air Force Base)
- Over 140 students speak a primary language other than English
But being racially, linguistically and socio-economically diverse does not automatically yield strong social bonds and learning opportunities across these differences.
Along with district initiatives, parents are a crucial component of creating a sense of belonging and community for all our families.
PDC members are residents of Bedford, Boston, and Hanscom, and represent all grade level schools.
“One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”